Recipe by Shaye
I got this recipe from a cookbook that I checked out of the library. I tried it out when we went veggie for Lent. It turned out pretty good.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable stock, plus
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger (grated)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 3⁄4 lb firm tofu, cut into 2-inch rods
- soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, cut into ribbons with a potato peeler
- 8 scallions, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 3 T of stock and cornstarch until smooth In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, ¾ cup stock, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, cayenne and black peppers.
- In a small saucepan, sauté the garlic and ginger in 1 T oil until soft.
- Add vinegar mixture and simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens.
- Taste for seasoning.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2-3 inches of oil over medium to high heat until a cube of bread browns immediately.
- Fry the tofu until golden (about 5 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels, put on serving dish and sprinkle with soy sauce.
- In a wok, heat 2 T vegetable oil and stir fry carrots and scallions until there are cooked but crisp (about 1-2 minutes).
- Mix the tofu with the vegetables and pour sauce over top.