Out of necessity because I didn't have this sauce in the house nor did I want to go out to buy it, I searched and found gold on "about.com". This sauce picked up (Mougy's Pineapple Chicken) a few notches and I can imagine that it would enhance many an Asian inspired dish. It's good on it's own served as a condiment over rice or noodles, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (or substitute white vinegar)
- 1/2 cup tbsps white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (or cooking sherry)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 tablespoon dried crushed chili (1 Tbsp. makes spicy-hot sauce)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3-4 tbsp. cool water (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3-4 tbsp. cool water (optional)
- 1Place all ingredients (except the cornstarch-water mixture) in a sauce pan. Bring to a rolling boil.
- 2Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 10 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- 3Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch-water mixture (I didn't add the cornstarch, because found as the sauce reduced it thickened on it's own as it cooled). Stir to incorporate and continue stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens (about 2 minutes).
- 4Remove from heat and taste-test. You should taste "sweet" first, followed by sour, then spicy and salty notes. If the sauce isn't sweet enough, add a little more sugar. If not spicy enough, add more chili.
- 5Pour sauce into a small bowl or jar and serve as a condiment with chicken, fish, and seafood, or as a dip with finger foods such as chicken wings, shrimp, or spring rolls. Also makes an excellent marinade for grilled chicken, fish, or seafood.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 858.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 25.6 g
- Protein 0.7 g