Prep 7 mins
Cook 8 mins
Sweet and a little spicy. Our basic condiment in the house. Very quick and simple to make. Based on the Lemon Grass Restaurant's cookbook "The Best of Vietnamese & Thai Cooking". We always have a jar on hand in the frig. Many different ground chili paste nomenclatures. If unsure, read the ingredients: red chili peppers, salt, vinegar, and sesame oil are basic to all of them. Usually in a clear plastic jar with a green or red plastic lid.
- 3 tablespoons hot ground chili paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Combine everything, except cilantro, in a small sauce pan and mix.
- Once blended, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cliantro.
Delicious! I just used crushed red chili's as I did not have any paste, and used sweet rice flour instead of cornstarch and it was awesome! Thank you!
Close to, and just as good as, the bottled version. I used a slighly different method: first making a simple syrup and then adding the thickener. It is easy to change the amount of chili to suit your taste without needing to adjust anything else. Nice translucent red orange color.
This is pretty good. HOT but good. I'm going to cut back on that chili sauce and I think this would make a good sweet and sour sauce too if you added some pineapple juice or chunks.