Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 8 Thai red chili peppers, seeded
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until sauce is thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Transfer to small dipping dishes.
This was a pretty good sauce. However, the (rice) vinegar flavor is still a bit too strong for my tastes. I pureed the tomatoes, chili peppers, and scallions before cooking, and then simmered for an hour. Thanks for the recipe!
Great spicey sweet-doesn't take my head off - sauce. After simmering it for just over an hour on low heat I pureed it until it was smooth , almost shiny and then added 1 drop of red food dye. The result was a beautiful sauce that I served with Spicy Jalapeno crab cakes. Thanks Troy ,easy recipe, just the right amount but it was over 1 cup.