Recipe by Ridgely
This is a hot, sweet, sticky sauce that goes with Thai barbecued chicken as well as appetizers like spring rolls or fried won-tons. From the great Thai cookbook "True Thai". We absolutely love this!
Top Review by jenpalombi
This was an excellent dipping sauce - one of the better recipes I've found. I have tried it with both white vinegar and rice vinegar and have decided that I'll probably reduce the amount of vinegar next time. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chinese-style chili-garlic sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar and a 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- Bring to a low boil over med-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat to medium and add in remaining sugar.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently as the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the salt.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then stir in the chili-garlic sauce and remove from heat.
- Let sauce cool and serve at room temp.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks if it lasts that long.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups.