Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Real Vegetarian Thai by Nancie McDermott. In the note it says that if you are using a nice, unwaxed cucumber to leave some of the skin on. (I never use the cilantro.) This goes well with Thai Shrimp With Coconut-Almond Rice, Thai Shrimp With Coconut-Almond Rice.
- 118.29 ml white vinegar
- 118.29 ml water
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1 large cucumber (about 12 oz)
- 59.14 ml red onion, coarsely chopped
- 78.07 ml dry roasted salted peanut, finely chopped
- 44.37 ml fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- fresh cilantro leaf
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt and boil gently over medium heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar and salt. After about 2 minutes, when the syrup is clear and slightly thickened, remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Peel the cucumber and slice lengthwise in quarters. (You can remove the seeds if you want to.) Slice these strips into 1/4 inch thick triangles.
- In a bowl, combine the cucumbers, cooled vinegar mixture, onion, and cilantro and mix well.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve into individual dishes. Sprinkle servings with the chopped peanuts and cilantro leaves.
I love Thai cucumber salad and was pleased how good this was. I used half the sugar and just a sprinkle of salt. I also only made one fourth of the sauce, and it was still plenty. We actually served it with the juice and spoons and it was great this way! Served 2 big vegetable eaters.
Really nice cucumber salad. I let my water/sugar/vinegar sauce boil a little longer to reduce and thicken a bit more. I loved the peanut garnish. Maybe a thai chili or similar would be good in this, for those who like it hot. ;)Thanx for sharing this!
This was wonderful! We love summer because we can get the best veggies from the farmer's mkt. This will go in the fridge just to have on hand to eat as a side or a quick cool lunch. Thnx for posting, mliss. Made for ZWT4.