Recipe by Sue Lau
Can be served as a vegetable meal or a nice side dish to go with other Thai entrees. You can add tofu chunks to this if you like!
Top Review by dale!
Really yummy. I loved the mix of flavours especially the fish sauce and basil. I didn't have any bean sprouts but I did throw in a sliced zucchini instead. When it was cooked I mixed through some thin egg noodles. There was just the right amount of sauce to coat the noodles nicely. I served it topped with Thai turmeric chicken breast. This is a great way to serve vegetables.
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 cup slivered carrot
- 1 cup sliced baby-bella portabella mushroom
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 Thai red chili peppers, stemmed and sliced thin (amount to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek or 1 tablespoon other hot chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter, mixed with a few drops of water
- 1⁄2 fresh lime
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oil in wok or large skillet and turn fire over medium high heat; add garlic and cook until fragrance starts to release- do not burn.
- Add peas, carrots, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and fish sauce.
- Steam-fry over heat until vegetables start to get tender, about 10-15 minutes (I forgot exactly how long, but I remember the peas were taking a bit of time).
- The fish sauce and the liquid exuded from the mushrooms should be plenty of liquid as it was for me.
- If not, add a tbsp.
- of water or fish sauce to the pan to finish cooking, but don't get too heavy or it won't have time to cook out.
- Add the sambal oelek, the basil and the lemongrass, the chilies, and stir well.
- Beware of the odors coming from the pan; the peppers may get you in the eyes.
- When the basil and lemongrass have wilted and heated through, add the peanut butter, which should have a mixable consistancy.
- Stir that in and heat through.
- Squeeze the lime over all, (watching out for seeds), mix well, and serve.
- Serve with rice.