Recipe by heather in Ont,
I found this in a Fine Cooking Magazine and made it the other night. This is so quick and easy to make and packed with flavoured. You could easily add bok choy, peppers or other vegetables to the stir fry. This made 3 generous portion but could serve 4 if you have it with a salad or other side dishes. I served this over brown rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut crosswise into 1 inch wide strips
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, lightly packed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering hot in a well seasoned wok or a heavy duty 12 inch skillet.
- Add sliced shallots, sliced garlic, and red pepper flakes; cook frequently, until the shallots start to soften but not brown, 1- 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until it's no longer pink and the shallots are beginning to brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and 1/4 cup water. Cook stirring frequently, until the chicken is just cooked and the liquid reduces to a saucy consistency, 2 to 3 minutes. (If sauce reduces before the chicken is cooked through, add water, 1 tbsp at a time.).
- Remove from heat, add the basil, and stir to wilt it.
- Serve over cooked jasmine rice.