Recipe by Pinay0618
Very easy to prepare with lots of flavor. I bought the pre-shredded carrots from the produce section to make it a bit quicker. Recipe is from the Fine Cooking website.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 -2 jalapenos or 1 -2 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the steak all over with 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper. Heat 1 Tbs. of the oil in a large heavy-duty skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the steak, flipping once, until well browned outside and medium rare inside, 10 to 12 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining 1 Tbs. oil, 2 Tbs. of the lime juice, 1-1/2 Tbs. of the fish sauce, and 1 teaspoons of the sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine and dissolve the sugar. Add the carrots, cilantro, and chiles and toss well to coat.
- When the steak is done, transfer to a large plate, loosely cover with foil, and keep warm. Return the skillet to the stovetop over medium-low heat. Add 1/3 cup water and bring to a boil, scraping with a wooden spoon to release any brown bits. Add the coconut milk, curry paste, and the remaining 1 Tbs. lime juice, 1/2 Tbs. fish sauce, and 1 teaspoons sugar; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain and transfer to plates. Spoon the sauce over the top and serve with the carrot salad on the side.