Recipe by Sackville
This recipe comes from newspaper columnist Lindsey Bareham who has never let me down when it comes to wonderful recipes.
Top Review by Feather
This soup is fantastic!! Even my meat-eating husband likes it. We've made it twice so far, and I'm sure it will become a standard. I've pulled back to half a lemon and made sure my husband cuts the potatoes and the spinach into bite size pieces. Thanks for a great recipe!! - Feather
- 1 large onions or 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small red chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 750 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 vegetable stock cubes, dissolved in 1 litre of boiling water
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce or other chili sauce
- 100 g young spinach leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large fry pan and saute onion and garlic for five minutes.
- Remove two strips of zest from the lemon and add chilli and lemon zest into the frying pan.
- Cook for another few minutes.
- Stir the potatoes into the mixture and cook for a couple minutes, before adding the hot stock.
- Bring soup to a boil, turn down heat immediately.
- Add one tablespoon lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, partially covered, for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, lemon juice and Tabasco.
- Squash the spinach into the pan, coarsely chop the coriander and add that in as well.
- When the spinach is wilted, the soup is ready.