Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Serve as an appetizer with an Asian meal, or double the serving size and spoon over hot cooked rice or rice noodles for an entree. In our local paper, compliments of Cooking Light.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chili paste with garlic
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup minced pickled ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded (about 40 mussels)
- parsley sprig (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, chile paste and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly. Add coconut milk and the next 5 ingredients (lime rind through mussels); bring to a boil. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until shells open.
- Remove from heat; discard any unopened shells. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
- As an appetizer, makes 8 Servings (serving size: about 5 mussels and 2 Tbls. sauce).
- Note: Use already cleaned mussels to cut down on preparation time.