Recipe by nsomniak6
I have made this using all three of the above seafood (separately) and I love the New Zealand mussels the best, but any of those are really good. Serve over rice, I use brown Basmati.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup thinly chopped red bell pepper
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red curry paste (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lb mussels, new zealand or 1 lb medium shrimp, raw peeled and deveined or 1 lb firm flesh white fish fillet, such as cod
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat peanut oil in a 12" skillet on Med heat. Add sesame oil, onions, pepper, carrots and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add squash and zucchini and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add curry paste, curry powder, cumin and kaffir leaves or lime zest and stir to combine.
- Add fish sauce and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Stir in coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the seafood, cover, and cook, shake the pan occasionally. Cook until the mussels are open if you are using them, discard any that have not opened. If you are using shrimp cook until they turn pink. If using fish, cook until fish easily flakes.
- Stir in 1/4 cilantro and remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for about 1 minute. Spoon over rice or ladle into bowls and garnish with remaining cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.