Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oh, yum! My version of Trader Joe's. I was down to my last bag of TJ's Lime Pilaf and dreaded the long (2hr) drive for more. Decided to try to recreate, this is what I came up with. Hope you enjoy as much as I do! Cook times are approximate, you may need to adjust for your stove/cookware and elevation.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 14 ounces light coconut milk (1 can)
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth, plus
- 1 tablespoon water or 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lime, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar (I use Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, slivered
- Combine all ingredints except basil in pot, stir over medium heat until reaches boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes without lifting lid.
- Remove lid, add basil and fluff with fork. Let sit, covered for 5 additional minutes.
- If your rice seems sticky, a small squeeze of fresh lime juice stirred into rice will help.
Very tasty rice dish. I will add a tad more pepper flakes next time, though. Nice side to an Asian chicken dish.