Recipe by nuwa
This Southeast Asian dish is a gastronomical delight! The rich taste of lemon grass, coconut milk and Thai fish sauce will transport you instantly to the Land of Smiles. You may need to make a trip to an Asian grocer for some of the ingredients, but in my opinion, the flavorful marinade is worth it!
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
Ingredients for marinade
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 shallots, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim off the roots of the lemon grass, cut apart the stalks and chop roughly. Place into a blender/ food processor along with all the other marinade ingredients. Process until the mixture has reached a smooth consistency.
- Put the chicken pieces in a deep enough dish and pour over the marinade. Stir to mix well, then cover the dish and place in chiller to marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the BBQ or preheat the oven to 200ºC / 400ºF. If cooking in the oven, arrange the chicken pieces on a rack over a roasting tin (this prevents dripping juices from staining the oven).
- Barbecue or bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the pieces are cooked and golden brown. Turn the pieces and brush with the marinade once or twice during cooking.
- Remove from oven or BBQ and serve with lime wedges.