Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great soup for a cold day, or an alternative to chicken soup for someone with a cold! It is really a mix between American potato soup and Thai chicken soup.
- 709.77-946.36 ml cooked chicken
- 2 carrots, scraped and sliced diagonally
- 2 stalk celery, sliced diagonally
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml peanut oil
- 1419.54 ml chicken broth
- 396.89 g can light coconut milk
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and diced
- 177.44 ml chunky peanut butter
- 1.23-2.46 ml dry crushed red pepper
- Saute carrot, celery, onion, and garlic in oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Stir in broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes or until potato is tender.
I did not see the addition of peanut butter when I tagged the recipe and I really cannot stand PB. I omitted the PB and the flavour fell somewhat flat, which cannot surprise. I added fresh cilantro and lime juice from two limes, extra salt and extra red pepper flakes and ended up with a great tasting soup! Also, I was skeptical of the potato combined with coconut milk - but it really worked. Made for 1-2-3 tag
Best the next day. You are so right this chicken soup is defiantly what one needs for a cold day. Made as writhen with big chucks for DH and used the 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper which was just right. I really enjoyed the little peanut pieces from the chunky peanut butter. Think next time will add a cilantro garnish. Thanks so much for the post.
Very nice soup & simple to make, too! I didn't peel the potato but diced it small so the pieces of peel weren't very large! Also used but a scant 1/4 teaspoon of the red pepper! Enjoyed the use of chunky peanut butter & coconut milk here, & included it all with some diced chicken breast from the freezer! Also used some of my own broth ~ Chicken Broth Supreme ~ which, of course, made it even better, I thought (Nothing like tooting your own horn!)! Anyway, you do have a great soup recipe here, & one I'm happy to keep around! Many thanks! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Potluck Tag Game]