Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
American's Test Kitchen
Top Review by meganmcq
We've eaten Thai Coconut Chicken soup many, many times at Thai Restaraunts, but this is undoubtedly the best version we've ever tasted. The flavors are complex, yet subtle. Every bite gives you hints of ginger, lime, lemongrass, cilantro, red curry, etc. It is really amazing, and definitely worth the little extra time it takes to make it work in the crock pot.
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (or minced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bottom 5 inches only, bruised
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 10 cilantro stems, tied together with twine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced (Thai, serrano, or jalapeno)
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- lime wedge, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave onions, garlic, ginger, and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth, 1 can coconut milk, lemon grass, carrots, 1 T fish sauce, and cilantro stems into slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces.
- Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Discard lemon grass and cilantro stems.
- Stir in mushrooms, cover and cook on HIGH until mushrooms are tender, 5-15 minutes.
- Microwave remaining can coconut milk in bowl until hot, about 3 minutes, then whisk in remaining 2 T fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and curry paste to dissolve.
- Stir hot coconut milk mixture and shredded chicken into soup and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with garnishes.