Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
American's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Thai-Style Chicken Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (or minced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bottom 5 inches only, bruised
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 10 cilantro stems, tied together with twine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced (Thai, serrano, or jalapeno)
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- lime wedge, for serving
- Microwave onions, garlic, ginger, and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth, 1 can coconut milk, lemon grass, carrots, 1 T fish sauce, and cilantro stems into slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces.
- Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Discard lemon grass and cilantro stems.
- Stir in mushrooms, cover and cook on HIGH until mushrooms are tender, 5-15 minutes.
- Microwave remaining can coconut milk in bowl until hot, about 3 minutes, then whisk in remaining 2 T fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and curry paste to dissolve.
- Stir hot coconut milk mixture and shredded chicken into soup and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with garnishes.