6 hrs 30 mins
American's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (or minced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bottom 5 inches only, bruised
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 10 cilantro stems, tied together with twine
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1Microwave onions, garlic, ginger, and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- 2Stir broth, 1 can coconut milk, lemon grass, carrots, 1 T fish sauce, and cilantro stems into slow cooker.
- 3Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- 4Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- 5Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces.
- 6Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 7Discard lemon grass and cilantro stems.
- 8Stir in mushrooms, cover and cook on HIGH until mushrooms are tender, 5-15 minutes.
- 9Microwave remaining can coconut milk in bowl until hot, about 3 minutes, then whisk in remaining 2 T fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and curry paste to dissolve.
- 10Stir hot coconut milk mixture and shredded chicken into soup and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with garnishes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai-Style Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.8
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 70.8 mg
- Sodium 692.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 58.7 g
- Protein 22.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Thai red curry paste