Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sweet and sour components balance the richness of lemon grass-and-lime-infused coconut milk, which, in turn, tempers a slow-building chile burn.
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 3 stalk lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed, bottom 5 inches halved lengthwise and sliced thin crosswise
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 8 sprig fresh cilantro, chopped coarse
- 44.37 ml fish sauce
- 946.36 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (793.78 g) can coconut milk, well shaken
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 226.79 g white mushroom, cleaned, stems trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast, halved lenghtwise and sliced on bias into 1/8-inch-thick pieces
- 44.37 ml lime juice, from 2-3 limes
- 9.85 ml Thai red curry paste
garnish for soup
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 serrano chilies, sliced thin
- 2 scallions, sliced thin on bias
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until just shimmering.
- Add lemon grass, shallots, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon fish sauce; cook, stirring frequently, until just softened, 2 to 5 minutes (vegetables should not brown).
- Stir in chicken broth and 1 can coconut milk; bring to simmer over high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until flavors have blended, 10 minutes.
- Pour broth through fine-mesh strainer and discard solids in strainer.
- Rinse saucepan and return broth mixture to pan.
- Return pan to medium-high heat.
- Stir remaining can coconut milk and sugar into broth mixture and bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium, add mushrooms, and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat.
- Combine lime juice, curry paste, and remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce in small bowl; stir into soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, chilis, and scallions.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Absolutely outstanding, and simple to make. As good as anything I've had in a Thai restaurant! This will go into my regular rotation
Awesome recipe Jenylyn. Simply delicious. We loved the complex flavors in this soup. I did make a few changes because we had our heart set on this and we didn't want to wait. So glad that we didn't. I made the soup as directed but with these changes boneless, skinless chicken thighs, canned mushrooms, lime leaves & juice, Gourmet lemongrass paste & cilantro paste and 3 tbsps red curry paste (personal preference). Thank you so much for sharing this treat, that I will make often. We will be finishing the leftover soup tomorrow with jumbo shrimp. Yum, can't wait.
I was also going to post this from CI because I thought it was fabulous. I added bean thread noodles at the end and it was amazing. The only thing i don't do is strain the veggies, I find it unnecessary. You can also use pork or shrimp with this recipe (I am going to try cod tonight!) I am going to cook some rice to thrown in there too.