Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime, zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large red chilies, seeded and finely cut into strips
- 6 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 6 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- To make the dressing, whisk the fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, and coconut milk.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Stir-fry the chiles, garlic, and shallots until the shallots are brown and crisp.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the cabbage and blanch for about 2 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly, then place the cabbage in a bowl.
- Stir the dressing into the cabbage, toss and mix well.
- Sprinkle with the fried shallot mixture.
This was really tasty, I'll definitely be making it again as a side dish to a Thai meal. I didn't have any red chilies so I used crushed red pepper instead and it turned out fine. Next time I think instead of blanching the cabbage, I'll toss it and the dressing in the skillet once the shallots are cooked so they have a little bit of a crunch to them.