Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderfully aromatic, this delicious rice is a wonderful addition to your dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped basil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened flaked coconut, to taste (optional)
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter and oil together over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and chopped basil and cook until shallots are slightly soft, about 5 minutes; add garlic and green onion and sauté another 2 to three minutes.
- Add the uncooked rice and stir to coat well; sauté for 3 minutes while stirring.
- Mix together the water and chicken bouillon and stir until dissolved; add bouillon liquid to rice in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- If using, stir in red pepper and coconut flakes.
- Cover saucepan, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and rice is to preferred texture.
- Fluff with fork, serve, and enjoy.
- Makes 4 servings.
This is a terrific recipe. I used chicken broth instead of water and omitted the chicken cubes. I also omitted the coconut because we do not care for it in our rice. This recipe is excellent, nothing left to save for the next day!
Made this for lunch today, threw everything in my microwave rice cooker. Yumm! Simple, easy and subtle taste. Will be making this again.
i cooked my rice beforehand and added the rest of the ingredients afterwards minus the coconut - I used a combo of basmati and jasmine rice - excellent dish