Karlyn R's Note:
This recipe has a very distinct taste from the marinade used. You could substitute the halibut for any other white fish. This recipe was found in my local newspaper when they listed the best recipes from the year.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated large
- 2 medium green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/3 lbs halibut fillets
- parchment paper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1Combine coconut milk with lemon peel, green onions, ginger, 1 teaspoon cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes and turmeric.
- 2Cut halibut into serving pieces and place in an 8 or 9 inch glass pan; pour coconut milk marinade over fish.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours; do not marinade longer as the fish will become too soft.
- 4Line a steamer with parchment paper and poke holes in paper.
- 5Combine lime juice and fish sauce.
- 6Remove halibut from marinade, keeping marinade on the fish, and place in steamer set over boiling water.
- 7Discard excess marinade.
- 8Or set a rack over the water, place fish on a plate and set on rack not touching the water.
- 9Spoon half of lime juice mixture over fish and sprinkle with salt.
- 10Baste fish with remaining lime juice mixture during cooking time.
- 11Cover the steamer and steam 12 minutes per inch of thickness.
- 12Check for doneness.
- 13Keep water at a high boil during cooking time.
- 14Remove halibut from steamer and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- 15Serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Steamed Halibut
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.4
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 526.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 40.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of