Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
I decided to enter into the dark, scary unknown! Thai food! I have seen pictures, smelled the aroma, read, or tried to read some of the recipes. Didn't work! It's still scary unknown.I bought the ingredients, prepared them, rolled up my sleeves, and went to it! Then a funny thing happened, YES! it was delicious! Now, I wondered why didn't try this before? Now, I'm going to get my feet wet in another scary unknown! Enjoy! You might want to add the red pepper flakes slowly, and taste before you add more. The pepper flakes will even be hotter the next day, so be careful. If you have trouble finding the lemongrass, ask your produce man to stock it. Asian markets will have it also. There are lot of steps here, but so well worth it. Times don't include time for marinating.
- 4 ounces fine noodles, broken (2 1/2 cups) or 4 ounces fusilli (2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, your choice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemongrass or 1 tablespoon snipped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more or less)
- 1 lb beef top sirloin steak, cut about 1-inch thick
- 5 cups savoy cabbage (5 cups of one or mixed) or 5 cups Chinese cabbage (5 cups of one or mixed) or 5 cups spinach (5 cups of one or mixed) or 5 cups spinach (5 cups of one or mixed) or 5 cups romaine lettuce (5 cups of one or mixed) or 5 cups bok choy (5 cups of one or mixed)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 4 green onions, cut lengthwise, into fourths and bias sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cucumber (peeled or not, up to you)
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped
- whole fresh hot red chili pepper (optional)
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water according to package instructions,, chill drain,cover.
- For dressing:place vinegar, salad oil, soy sauce, peanut butter, lemongrass or cilantro, garlic, and crushed red pepper in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until mixture is combined.
- Trim excess fat from meat; place meat in a shallow dish. Add 1/3 cup of the dressing; turn once. Cover, marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Refrigerate remaining dressing until ready to serve.
- Drain meat, discarding marinade. Grill steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12-15 minutes for medium doneness, turning once halfway through th grilling time. Cut into thin strips.
- Meanwhile, combine noodles, cabbage, carrot, and green onions in a mixing bowl. Add about 1/4 cup of the remaining dressing. Toss to coat well.
- Arrange the noodle mixture on 4 salad plates; top with warm meat, cucumber and spinach. Drizzle with remaining dressing; sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Garnish each.
- serving with with whole, fresh hot chili pepper (if desired).