Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious, bright and flavorful -- authentic, quick, and EASY too! This Spicy Thai Soup will satisfy your palate!! From a neighbor's cookbook. You can easily use frozen cooked shrimp in this dish, just throw them into the hot stock, and heat through! Note: Use EITHER the fresh chile pepper OR the chile paste, or just a little of each (unless you want it truly HOT)!! ENJOY!
- 1⁄3 lb shrimp (shelled, with tail)
- 8 fresh mushrooms, cut in half
- 12 canned straw mushrooms
- 2 cups stock (fish or chicken stock)
- 1⁄2 stalk fresh lemongrass, cut in 1-inch long pieces
- 4 fresh lime leaves (kaffir lime leaves- or can use pesticide-free lime leaves from your garden, washed)
- 1 inch fresh galangal, sliced thinly (Thai ginger root)
- 4 -6 fresh chili peppers (I use ONE fresh serrano chile-optional, see note)
- 2 tablespoons premium fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste, with soya oil (optional)
- fresh snipped cilantro, as desired
- Devein shrimp; rinse and drain.
- Bring stock to a boil, and add remaining ingredients; cook until shrimp changes color.
- Remove chunks of lemon grass and whole chiles. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro; serve.
I have this cookbook; but I lost it and was so glad to find this recipe here. I find it so satifying to making authenticThai food and the flavors in this soup are fantastic! Thank you!!
I am going to admit I have not made this particular version, however the one I make is identical with the exception that I cut the tail off the shrimp and do not add the chili paste, so I can honestly rate it. I never do this but when two recipes are identical I think it is fine to judge it. I would never reveiw something I had not made if the recipe was different.