Recipe by Baby Kato
Another of my dh's favorites. This dish tastes good and its healthy too. It's best if left to marinate overnight. Again I have modified this recipe to suit my family's taste.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
Although I seemed to have screwed this up royally, it still came out absolutely delicious. My first mistake that I didn't reach the directions properly and added both tablespoons of oil to the marinade. (I also used sunflower oil because I was out of peanut oil.) I marinated the beef overnight and proceeded as directed. Even though I had diced my potatoes rather small, they still took a while to cook and all my water had evaporated. I ended up adding more water (2/3 cup each time!) before the potatoes were ready. After adding the cup of baby spinach, I decided I wanted more and threw in the whole bag. Despite all these changes, the recipe was really, really tasty. Thanks for sharing!
- 453.59 g filet of beef, thickly sliced
- 29.58 ml soya sauce, thai
- 29.58 ml fish sauce
- 29.58 ml peanut oil
- 4 cilantro roots, chopped coarsley
- 14.79 ml black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped coarsley
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 354.88 ml potatoes, diced, peeled
- 158.51 ml water
- 118.29 ml mixed mushrooms, thickly slice
- 4 scallions, chopped coarsley
- 236.59 ml spinach leaves, baby
- 946.36 ml rice, steamed, hot
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the beef into thick slices.
- Add the soya sauce, fish sauce, 1 tbsp oil, cilantro roots, peppercorns, garlic and sugar into a food processor and process into a thick paste.
- Coat the beef in the thick paste, cover witih plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Do not discard the marinade.
- Heat the oil in wok.
- Remove the beef from marinade, reserve marinade and cook the beef in the wok for 5 - 10 minutes until well browned.
- Next add the reserved marinade, the potatoes and the water, slowly bring to a boil.
- Simmer 6 - 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Now add the mushrooms, scallions and spinach simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.