Recipe by SocaliJL
My version of Thai Beef Basil I usually get from take-out. If you can find Thai Basil and Thai Chilies that would be great. Otherwise, I've used regular basil and serrano or jalapeno chilies instead. I freeze the beef for 10 minutes to make it easier to thinly slice.
Top Review by darkmoon66
Registered just to comment on this recipe. I've been craving this dish for a few days and finally tracked down a store near by that sells Thai Basil and Thai Chili Peppers. I've made this twice so far, the first time following the recipe exactly and it came out really good, though a tad salty for me. The second time I added 1 tablespoon of sugar rather than 1/2 a tablespoon and that made it perfect for me. Thanks for the recipe!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb beef, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chile, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- cilantro, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat wok with oil, add garlic and chiles.
- Add beef and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add onions and basil, stir for 1 minute.
- Add remaining sauce: oyster sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and white pepper.
- Stir fry until cooked, garnish with cilantro.
- Server immediately with steamed rice.