Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Real Simple. Yay tofu!
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into four 1/2-inch slices*
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (found in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (for vegetarians who don't eat fish) or 2 tablespoons tamari (for vegetarians who don't eat fish)
- 1⁄2 lb green beans
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- Place the tofu between layers of paper towels and weigh them down with a heavy skillet to remove excess water. Set aside to drain for 10 minutes.
- Combine the curry paste, sugar, and fish sauce; put half this sauce in a resealable plastic bag. Add the tofu, seal, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine the green beans, broth, oil, and the remaining curry. Simmer until the beans are tender, about 5 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
- Lightly coat a nonstick skillet with vegetable cooking spray and place it over medium heat. When hot, add the tofu and cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a dinner plate and cover.
- Serve with the green beans.
DH keeps saying, "MORE!" "AGAIN!" I did make a tweak or two. I used our own, home made Thai Red Curry paste, 1.5 tsp of brown Splenda, rather than sugar and 1+ Tbsp fish sauce and 1 Tbsp brown Thai Soy Sauce, which is thicker and has a molasses flavor. We will be having this again, often. And we agree with Herb-Cat. This is a great way of having Thai Curry without the coconut milk. Update - we've also tried this with our home made Green curry paste but it's not as good. We've also subbed broccoli for the greens beans and that's been a good change out. Thanks.
Yummy! We modified this a little bit: No green beans (personal preference), and we baked the tofu (we can't seem to get the hand of frying things), and soy sauce instead of the fish sauce. This was so tasty! It's even better than the red curry recipes that call for coconut milk! We will be making this time and time again! Thank you!
This was great and my 3yo son ate it up and then picked at everything else on his plate. lol. I used Thai Kitchen's Red curry Paste and I didn't think it was spicy. Of course, when I got to the what-to-do-with-the-tofu section of the recipe I saw that I had already marinaded 16 oz instead of 8 oz! ACK! What do I do now?! So I dumped the other half pound of frozen green beans into the pan, added more water (which I used instead of broth), more peanut oil and squeezed every bit of marinade I could out of the baggie into the beans. It turned out great and I served it with Recipe #287896 for the meat-eaters and Recipe #288002. Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC tag.