Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Recipe source: Prevention Magazine (November 2011) -- thought this was a great way to use up leftover turkey and leftover coconut milk.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups turkey, cooked and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Combine first 5 ingredients (broth - garlic) and 1 cup water in a large pot and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for another minute or so.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with additional cilantro, if desired.
I used some leftover deli meat, since it was already sliced and I didn't have any other cooked poultry. This soup was great, and I think it would be excellent instead of chicken noodle soup for when someone is sick, especially since it has garlic (natural antibiotic) and ginger (calms upset stomachs.) Definitely will be making this soup again. For ZWT9
Loved this versatile soup ellie. I must confess that I used large shrimp instead of turkey as I didn't have any leftover turkey to use. The shrimp worked well in this soup. I made the rest of the recipe as written, it had so much flavor and great textures. Thanks for sharing another family favorite.
Ok, made this vegetarian, replaced meat with rice noodles. Replaced fish sauce with soy sauce.used regular mushrooms, didn't have lime, so used lemon juice. Other than that followed and doubled. I needed to add salt. Also add carrot and celery and some tomato. Very good, but missing something...broth wise...ill keep tinkering with it. Excellent recipe though, who knew it was so easy?!