Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
No carbs here! I used the bitter melon in place of the bread. Do take note that bitter melon is very for you, Yes this tropic fruit is bitter and a required taste but do check it's health benefits here http://bittermelon.org/heal/healthbenefits You may be surprised.
- 3 bitter melons
- 9 ounces fresh shrimp, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon cilantro
- peanut oil (for frying)
- Cut the melon lengthwise and remove the seeds and fiber.
- Place in a brine of 1 tablespoon salt and a cup of water. Adding more water to cover.Let the bitter release into the water for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse and towel dry. place on a paper towel while preparing the paste.
- Cut again lengthwise to form long beds to place the shrimp paste.
- Place the remaining ingredients except the oil in a blender or food processor and pulse to form an even paste.
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Top each melon slice with shrimp paste.
- Place melon side down in hot oil and fry for 3 minutes,.
- Turn 1/3 way and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn another 1/3 way and fry 1-2 minutes.
- Turn back to melon side and fry 1 more minute.
- remove and drain on paper towel.
- Serve as finger food or as a side to a meal.