Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was in my stash and want to save.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 Thai red chili peppers, bruised with flat side of knife (or 1 jalapeno, thinly slice)
- 3 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 5 fresh ginger, thinly sliced (or galangal)
- 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- In a large serving bowl set aside by the stove, combine lime juice, chilies, green onions, fish sauce, and chile paste.
- Trim lemongrass to a 3-inch base, halve base lengthwise and chop coarsely. Combine the chopped lemongrass, broth, water and ginger (or galangal) in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove lemongrass and ginger slices. Discard.
- Return soup to a boil and add mushrooms and shrimp. Cook 2 to 3 minutes longer until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and pour immediately over the seasoning mixture in serving bowl. Stir once. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve hot.