Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
The Thai chili paste is sweeter and has lemongrass in it. You may find it in your local Asian store, or even from your local Thai restaurant. To make regular chili paste, sauté oil with yellow onion and garlic until soft, then add chili powder and paprika for color. I would grill the shrimp for extra flavor. This makes a small appetizer for 2 people, or a nice sized one for one.
- 5 ounces shrimp
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon thai chili paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (for color)
- 1⁄2 tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 2 tablespoons red onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon kaffir lime leaf, sliced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- In a big bowl, combine all ingredients except the shrimp.
- With your hands, squish the tomato to release some juice.
- Grill shrimp until cooked.
- Mix shrimp in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve on lettuce leaves.