Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is one of Emeril's recipes however, I've cut a corner or two by using purchased red curry, which you should add according to taste. NOTE: Here's RZ suggested substiution for Fish Sauce: 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce = 1 tbsp fish sauce; 1 tbsp soy sauce = 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 29.58 ml peanut oil
- 118.29 ml chopped shallot
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed and shredded
- 9.85 ml minced garlic
- 22.18 ml Thai red curry paste (or to taste)
- 29.58 ml fish sauce
- 9.85 ml light brown sugar
- 396.89 g can coconut milk
- 453.59 g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 44.37 ml chopped Thai basil
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- cooked jasmine rice, accompaniment
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro, garnish
- In a large wok or saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots, bell peppers, carrots, and garlic, and stir-fry until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stirring, add the fish sauce and sugar, then the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until pink and just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and cilantro.
- Serve over jasmine rice, garnished with cilantro sprigs.
Really good - better than most thai restaurants. I used 3 tbs curry paste, 1 and a half can coconut milk and added lemongrass and 3 tsp peanut butter. So delicious - thank you!
Thank you for sharing. Great recipe, love the flavors. I increased the red curry paste to 2 tbsp. thanks to previous reviewers comments and it was perfect for me.
This is an easy to prepare, flavorful curry. I cut corners by buying carrots already shredded and prepared red curry paste. I used more Thai basil than indicated as I was trying to use it up from my garden, as well as extra cilantro. We served over jasmine rice prepared in my rice cooker. This was enjoyed. Thanks!