Recipe by Galley Wench
This is one of Emeril's recipes however, I've cut a corner or two by using purchased red curry, which you should add according to taste. NOTE: Here's RZ suggested substiution for Fish Sauce: 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce = 1 tbsp fish sauce; 1 tbsp soy sauce = 1 tbsp fish sauce
Top Review by kateandtodd
Really good - better than most thai restaurants. I used 3 tbs curry paste, 1 and a half can coconut milk and added lemongrass and 3 tsp peanut butter. So delicious - thank you!
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed and shredded
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons chopped Thai basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- cooked jasmine rice, accompaniment
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large wok or saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots, bell peppers, carrots, and garlic, and stir-fry until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stirring, add the fish sauce and sugar, then the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until pink and just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and cilantro.
- Serve over jasmine rice, garnished with cilantro sprigs.