Have had a hankering for Thai shrimp curry, lately. This was slated to be my choice tonight, but alas, I only had one can of coconut milk! So I'm saving it here to make later. This came from a reputable source, though, so proceed without fear!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 -2 lb medium shrimp, peeled
- 2 -3 cups pineapple chunks (I would definitely leave these out)
- 4 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded and chopped (red or green) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- kosher salt
- 1 whole fresh basil leaf, whole fresh mint leaves
- chopped dry roasted peanuts (to garnish)
- cooked white fragrant jasmine rice
- 1Carefully remove the lids from the cans of coconut milk without shaking them.
- 2Spoon about 1 cup of the thick (or even solid) "cream" from the tops of the cans and place in a large, heavy pot with the red curry paste.
- 3Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the cream separates into colored oil and coconut solids, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in the remaining coconut milk, fish sauce, and brown sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5Add the shrimp (and pineapple, if you add it) and bring back to a simmer over moderate heat.
- 6Cook until the shrimp is almost done, 3 to 4 minutes, and add the snow peas, bell pepper, and optional hot pepper. Cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and adjust the seasoning with salt if necessary.
- 7Garnish with whole basil leaves, mint leaves, and chopped peanuts and serve with white rice.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thai Shrimp Curry
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.8
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 32.9 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 972.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 40.1 g
- Protein 30.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste