Recipe by flower7
This originally came from a Weight Watchers cookbook and I adapted it slightly for a chili cookoff at work. It ended up as a finalist and was voted "Most Memorable". I really enjoyed the flavor and it is very quick to put together, which is even better! 4 WW points for 1 cup serving.
Top Review by iris5555
This is excellent. I didn't have fresh ginger so used just a bit of dry ginger. I think I would add less lime juice next time--I tasted the soup before I added it and liked it better than with the lime.
- 14 ounces light coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili paste with garlic
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs uncooked shrimp, peeled (medium-size)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained (I use ones with green chiles)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (I use a mix of crimini and oyster)
- chopped cilantro (for garnish, optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine coconut milk, ginger and chili paste in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add shrimp, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon.
- Combine flour and soy sauce in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk, then add to coconut milk in saucepan.
- Add tomatoes, green onion, lime juice and sugar, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro, if desired.