Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This originally came from a Weight Watchers cookbook and I adapted it slightly for a chili cookoff at work. It ended up as a finalist and was voted "Most Memorable". I really enjoyed the flavor and it is very quick to put together, which is even better! 4 WW points for 1 cup serving.
- 14 ounces light coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili paste with garlic
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs uncooked shrimp, peeled (medium-size)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained (I use ones with green chiles)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (I use a mix of crimini and oyster)
- chopped cilantro (for garnish, optional)
- Combine coconut milk, ginger and chili paste in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add shrimp, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon.
- Combine flour and soy sauce in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk, then add to coconut milk in saucepan.
- Add tomatoes, green onion, lime juice and sugar, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro, if desired.
This is excellent. I didn't have fresh ginger so used just a bit of dry ginger. I think I would add less lime juice next time--I tasted the soup before I added it and liked it better than with the lime.
Holy Moly this is good. I made this last night to go with some other asian dishes and this was fantastic. The shrimp were cooked perfectly and the flavor from the coconut milk and the chili paste were so yummy. We really like this alot and will make again,its so easy but tastes like so much more effort got put into it. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Great soup! I'm not rating this because I made some changes. I used regular coconut milk and I accidentally added 3 tablespoons sriracha instead of 2-3 teaspoons of chili paste so I added another can of coconut milk then added 1 cup chicken broth to make it more soupy (it was thick and more stew-like.) I added 2 big cloves of garlic. I used 12 oz shrimp for the whole thing, and about 3 cups of quartered baby portabella mushrooms. I used white instead of brown sugar, but didn't notice it in the end product. I did use Rotel tomatoes. We loved this soup, and thankfully the heat diminished as we ate. So delicious, and glad I had doubled the recipe in the end. :)