Recipe by Sue Lau
I put this together a couple of years ago when I was heavy into low carb. I love curries and this one suits for either low carb or diabetic. Use brown sugar instead of Splenda if you are not watching your diet and serve with rice if you like.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Mmm, loved this!! I used brown sugar in place of the Splenda, but otherwise as written. An excellent Thai curry which we enjoyed over rice, leftovers were even better!!! Thanks Sue, lovely recipe, made for I Recommend tag game.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional, may substitute bamboo shoots but add those when you add coconut milk and do not saute)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (2 to 3)
- 1 medium zucchini, roll cut
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (halved or quartered)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 hot chili pepper, sliced (Thai style or serrano preferred, 1 to 3)
- 14 ounces light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste (amount to taste, 1 to 3)
- 3 -4 kaffir lime leaves or 3 -4 substitute some lime zest or 3 -4 lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons Splenda granular (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil leaf (preferably Thai basil)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large deep skillet, heat oil and add onions, garlic and chopped chillies and cook for 1-3 minutes.
- If you are sensitive to volatile odors from heated chillies, just add them when you add the coconut milk, but in any case, vent the cooking area.
- Add the zucchini, mushrooms, and bell pepper to the pan, cooking until they are half-tender.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, lime leaves, Splenda and fish sauce, stirring mixture until curry paste mingles with the coconut milk.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are mostly cooked through.
- Add shrimp to the pan and stir over medium heat, uncovered, until shrimp become pink but are not curled too tightly (tightness makes them tough).
- Either stir basil into the curry or use as a garnish, whichever you prefer.