Recipe by chia
This is a main course soup with a kick that takes no time to make. You can also substitute chicken. Adapted from Gourmet.
Top Review by Rita~
This is a rich and full of flavor soup. Very warming and sinus clearing. Great for a cold. I added 1 extra cup of basmati brown rice and put in 2 cups of shrimp. I used thai basil which I had frozen from the garden. I added keffer lime leaves as well. Being I used brown rice I had to simmer it 30 minutes then added the shrimp. I used 2 tablespoon red curry paste because thats what I had on hand and we like heat. I used dried porcini mushrooms broke into pieces, soaked, strained, adding the mushrooms and soaking juiced to the broth after step #4. Very good and easy!
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 2 cups cilantro (to garnish) or 2 cups Thai basil, plus some extra (to garnish)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 3⁄4 cup medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄4 lb snow peas, trimmed and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- lime wedge (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine stock, water, curry paste, garlic, ginger, coriander, cilantro in a stockpot.
- Simmer until ginger is softened, about 15 minutes.
- Strain in a sieve lined with paper towels, and discard solids.
- Return to stockpot.
- Add rice, simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook through until it turns pink, 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce and snow peas, cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice.
- Garnish with lime wedges and extra basil or cilantro.