This is a quick-fix recipe using convenience products you can usually find in your supermarket. When I made it the first time, I bought the coconut milk, but forgot to add it. I have made it now both with and without, and we prefer it without the coconut milk. You might want to taste it before you add the coconut milk yourself and see if you want to stop there. The recipe is from Cooking Light magazine, and is only mildly spicy.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bottled minced fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 (8 ounce) packagepresliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (3 ounce) packagetrimmed snow peas
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion tops
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- Combine chicken broth, clam juice, fish sauce, minced garlic, minced ginger, and red curry paste in a large Dutch oven, stirring with a whisk.
- Add mushrooms, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, chicken and snow peas; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice, sugar, green onions, cilantro and coconut milk.
- Cook 2 minutes longer or until thoroughly heated.