Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
Am amazing thai soup , bursting with flavour with every mouthful. It might seem rather compicated but it isn't really.
- 400 g king prawns, uncooked
- 500 g squid
- 2 liters water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 4 dried kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 300 g white fish fillets, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, leafs
- Shell prawns and reserve heads. Chop the squid into bite size pieces or strips.
- combine the prawn heads and stock, slowly bring to the boil, simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Cool, strain the stock and throw away heads.
- Heat oil in pan, add onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass and sauces, cook until the onion is soft.
- add the stock, seeds, juice, leaves,bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stir in coconut milk and sugar, simmer 5 more minutes.
- Just before serving add the seafood and simmer about 2 minutes until they are cooked. Cooking the squid longer will result in a rubbery squid.
We had to sub some of the seafood, but this was a great soup. We've had it about 4 times now.