Recipe by PaulaG
A seared salmon fillet on a bed of spicy broccoli slaw makes for a very filling and delicious meal. This recipe is designed for 2 but can easily be increased to serve 4 or more. This recipe was developed for RSC #13.
Top Review by katisasha
Absolutely delicious! And qualifies as a perfectly healthy and balanced meal (btw, the amount of peanuts in the nutrition info is wrong, the calories are actually about 200 less per serving and almost half the fat)
- 2 (4 ounce) salmon fillets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 piece gingerroot, grated (Approximately 2 inch length.)
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar (Use lite if available.)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 2 cups broccoli slaw mix
- 2 green onions, white and green, sliced on diagonal
- 1⁄3 medium cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, seeded, sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all the dressing ingredients (except water) in a blender container and process until smooth. Thin with water if necessary, it should be a little thicker than a vinaigrette. Reserve 2 tablespoons for basting fish.
- In a large bowl combine the broccoli slaw, cucumber, green onion and cilantro; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat; stir in coarsely chopped peanuts, reserving a small amount for garnish, add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste; mix well. Set aside while cooking salmon.
- In a heavy skillet heat the olive oil unit hot; add salmon fillets, skin side down, baste with reserved dressing. Sear for 3 to 4 minutes; turn the salmon, remove skin and brush with dressing; continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes. Turn and sear until salmon is done and flakes easily when tested with fork, approximately 1 to 2 minutes more.
- To serve, divide the slaw on 2 serving plates and top with cooked salmon; garnish with reserved peanuts.