Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made this up being hungry for salmon but not wanting to do the familiar teriyaki routine. The results were delicious and also used up some hot peppers that were ready on my plants. And you can't believe how quick and easy this is to prepare! The hardest part is steaming the rice!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh salmon fillets
- 1 (14 ounce) canlight unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 -3 tablespoon red curry paste (you choose how much)
- 1⁄2 lime (juice of, no seeds)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- minced Thai chile (optional; as many as you prefer)
- 3 cups steamed jasmine rice (or other type of rice)
- Remove the skin from the fillets (discarding skin) and cut the fish into medium/large cubes (about 1-inch size).
- Place the coconut milk into a large saute pan and add ginger, sugar, fish sauce, curry paste, and lime juice.
- Use a whisk to blend it until it is smooth.
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil and add the fish.
- Cook, turning fish gently to cook all sides as it cooks, for 5-7 minutes (depending on size of cubes or how well done you like your fish).
- Sprinkle curry with chopped basil and cilantro.
- Serve garnished with minced Thai bird chiles, if you like, but remember that these are very hot, and you might want to taste one small thin ring (preferably with some food) before adding a lot of them to your serving.
- Ladle into bowls over steamed jasmine rice.
Very easy and Delicious!
Our son found this recipe on a recent visit to our house wanting to replicate a dish we used to order at Thai Nakorn in Truckee, CA. This is pretty darn close. We have now made it twice, doubling the sauce, as we love rice with extra sauce. We use Maesri panang curry paste in the pink can, using an entire can for a double recipe of sauce.
Super easy, super yummy. Used 2 tbls. red curry and Costco frozen Wild King Salmon burgers (broke them up in the sauce). I too used extra Basil and Cilantro in the end. Had a birthday dinner party, everybody raved.