Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Found this recipe in my local paper a decade ago. Wonderful mix of meat and greens! Approx cooking time (what they call passive work time) includes marinating time for steak.
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut in half lengthwise and thinly slice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, in thin shreds
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- Combine chopped garlic, pepper and salt in small bowl and grind into paste. Spread over steak and marinade at least 1 hour.
- Over medium charcoal fire, grill steak to preferred doneness. Cut into thin strips about 2 inches long. While beef is grilling, whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar, minced garlic, pepper flakes, soy sauce, hot pepper sauce, ginger and lime juice.
- To assemble the salad, toss the beef with the cucumbers, bell pepper, lettuce, onions and dressing. Arrange on 6 plates and sprinkle with peanuts.
Have made this several times, and it is always a hit. great flavor combinations with an authentic thai taste. i always grill my meat on a charcoal grill. wonderful. i did not change any ingredients in the recipe. its great