Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Quick&Easy Thai by Nancie McDermott. Can used chopped peanuts in place of dried shrimp.
Make and share this Thai Roasted Eggplant Salad With Cilantro and Lime recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb Japanese eggplant
- 2 tablespoons shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped plus leaves for garnish
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot green chili peppers or 1 teaspoon dried red chili, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Cook eggplant strips, skin-side down, on a lightly oiled hot grill until tender and lightly browned, or on a baking sheet in a 400-degree F oven for 15 minutes Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place all remaining ingredients in medium bowl. Cut thick strips of eggplant crosswise into 2-in. chunks and add to the bowl. (May peel eggplant first.) Gently toss well to mix eggplant with seasoning. Garnish salad with cilantro leaves. Serve at room temperature or chilled with all juices.
I love Thai food and am a big eggplant fan, also into new summer recipes. This fit every bill! I made adjustments: I left out the cilantro (guests coming who hate it), roasted the eggplant whole and then shredded it (always advocate low fat alternatives), passed on both shrimp and peanuts and substituted soy sauce for fish sauce (veggies in attendance) -- and this was FABULOUS! Everyone's favorite dish in a well appreciated dinner. Thank you!