Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
I took a cooking class at a local Gourmet Market. This was absolutely scrumptious! I don't even care for Salmon and loved this soup. You will need to go to an Asian market for some of the ingredients. A bit of work but, fun and well worth it.
for the dumplings
- 1 -4 cup thick coconut cream (the top of the can of pure coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon roasted thai chili paste (nam prik pao, Pantainorasingh Brand the best)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tender heart only, finely minced
- 2 green onions, white section only, finely minced
- 3⁄4 lb salmon fillet
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely slivered
- 1 lb round wonton wrapper
for the broth
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 8 slices fresh galangal, quarter-sized slices (siamese ginger)
- 4 stalks fresh lemongrass, cut into 6-inch lenghts and bruised
- 3 green serrano chilies, bruised
- 3 -4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 8 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup canned whole straw mushroom, drained
- 2 limes, juice of, fresh
- 2 red fresno chiles, julienned
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- shallot, crispy shallot flakes for garnish (optional)
- To Make the Dumplings: In a small bowl mix together the coconut cream, roasted chile paste, salt, sugar and pepper. In food processor workbowl, add the minced lemongrass, green onion and salmon; process into a rough paste. Add the coconut cream mixture;process until it is a smooth paste. Fold in the lime leaves.
- To Fold the Dumplings:Place 1 heaping teaspoon of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Moisten the edges of the wrapper with water. Fold in half to enclose the filling to form a half circle. Pinch the edges together to seal. Set the dumplings on a baking sheet lined with wax paper; cover with a towel. Repeat with the remaining filling and wrapppers. (may freeze them at this point).
- To Make the Broth: Colmbine the coconut milk, chicken stock, galangal, lemongrass and green chilies in a stock pot. jBring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 15- 20 minutes. Do not continue simmering or the lemongrass will loose its taste. Strain the broth into the soup pot. Add fish sauce, lime leaves, and mushrooms; simmer together for 3-5 minutes. When ready to serve, stir in the lime juice.
- To Cook the Dumplings and Serve: In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Drop the fresh or frozen dumplings into the boiling water. When the water returns to a boil, with a slotted spoon scoop out the dumplings that flast to the top. Transfer 6 dumplings to each to a soup bowl (flat bowl is best). Ladle about 1 cup of hot brothe into each bowl. Garnish with red chilies, cilantro, and crispy shallot flakes.