Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This risotto dish borrows elements from Tom Kha soup, imparting richness and spice.
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 small shallots, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- dried oregano, to taste
- dried marjoram
- 5 dried hot red chili peppers
- 1) Combine the coconut milk, water and Parmesan cheese in a saucepan and simmer.
- 2) Saute the shallots, celery and garlic until soft and translucent over medium heat.
- 3) Add the Arborio rice and cook for until lightly toasted about 3 minutes, then increase the heat to medium-high.
- 4) Add the dry white wine (I prefer sparkling wine.) Cook until absorbed.
- 5) Add the dried herbs and chili peppers.
- 6) Add the coconut milk mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed until adding the next half cup.
- 7) In a separate skillet, cook the mushrooms. Once they are cooked, add the peas and cook through.
- 8) Combine the mushrooms with the risotto and cook 5 more minutes. Remove the hot peppers.
- 9) Optionally, garnish with scallions and cilantro.