Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Thai-style chicken soup.
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork or 1⁄2 lb ground chicken or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced crosswise
- cilantro leaf
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat until a bit of garlic sizzles all at once. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, until it is fragrant and golden, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour hot garlic and oil into heatproof bowl, and set aside to cool.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, and then stir in the cooked rice. When the soup returns to a boil, add the ground meat in generous pinches, by hand or by teaspoons, making free-form meatballs. Stir well, and add the fish sauce. Simmer 3-4 minutes until meat is cooked.
- Top with the crispy garlic in oil, pepper, ginger, green onions, and cilantro. Stir well and serve hot.