Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Quinoa is a very nutritious grain that offers a complete protein source and is also high in iron, magnesium, and fiber. Quinoa can be used in any dish in place of the rice, couscous or bulgur wheat. Recipe offered as part of an Asian Forum request.
- 2 cups quinoa (any variety)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar or 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby squash, halved quartered or 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, sliced 1 inch thick
- 4 ounces baby corn, halved lengthwise
- 4 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted roasted cashews, roughly chopped (garnish)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- lime wedge, to serve (garnish)
- Measure quinoa and vegetable broth. Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse thoroughly with cool water. Rub and swish the quinoa with your hand while rinsing, and rinse for at least 2 minutes under the running water. Drain.
- Heat a drizzle of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, and add the drained quinoa. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, letting the water evaporate.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the salt and bring back to a rolling boil. Lower heat and cook covered for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to the lowest setting.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat vegetable oil in another large saucepan. Add the curry paste and stir over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes, or until the paste seperates. Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, vegetable stock, palm sugar, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil.
- Add the squash and return to a boil. Stir in the baby corn then cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes (until the squash is tender).
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and remove the quinoa filled pot from the burner. Let stand for 5 minutes, covered. After 5 minutes, remove the lid, fluff the quinoa gently with a fork, and set aside with lid off.
- When the squash is ready, add the snow peas, lime juice and simmer, uncovered, for one minute.
- Dish the quinoa out into serving plates and top with the Red Squash Curry. Scatter the cashews over each plate and use lime wedges for squeezing over. Enjoy!