Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a famous Thai dessert made from water chestnuts. The preparation time includes refrigeration time.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 30 water chestnuts
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 3⁄4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- rose essence or jasmine essence
- For sugar syrup ---------------.
- Dissolve sugar in water by bringing it to a boil.
- This takes about 1 minute.
- Then remove and chill in the fridge.
- For the water chestnuts -------.
- Peel the skin from the water chestnuts.
- Diced them into small cubes about 3 to 5 by 3 to 5mm. Mix the diced water chestnuts with red food colouring.
- (Not too big or too small) Add the diced water chestnuts into a plastic bag of tapioca flour and shake well to cover them with flour.
- Pour the water chestnuts from the bag into a sieve.
- Sieve away the excess flour.
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Pour the water chestnuts into the boiling water and simmer for just 2 minute.
- Remove and drain the water chestnuts.
- Allow it to cool in iced water.
- For serving --------------------.
- Combine the sugar syrup, coconut milk and rose or jasmine essence.
- Scoop a couple of spoonfuls of the water chestnuts into each dessert serving glass bowl and fill it with coconut milk mixture.
- Add some ice cubes into the bowl and serve immediately.
Very refreshing for summer!