Recipe by UmmIbrahim
Thai red rice has a firm texture and a nutty flavor giving this dessert a unique flavor and appearance. Be sure to stir often throughout the cooking process so the pudding doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Delicious pudding! I used rice milk and a little more coconut milk like UmmBinat to be dairy free. For sweetener I used jaggery and halved the amount because we don't like it very sweet - that was just perfect. Will make it again - thanks for posting! Made for Ramadan Tag 2010.
- 1⁄2 cup red rice (Thai)
- 1⁄2 cup long grain white rice
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons ground pistachio nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan combine both rices, sugar, salt, 3 cups water, and 3 cups milk. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer over low heat until half the liquid has evaporated. This will take about 30-40 minute.
- Now add in the rose water, ground cardamom, and the can of coconut milk. Continue simmering another 30-40 minute The mixture should be fairly thick.
- Now add in the lemon zest and 1/2 cup half and half. Check the sweetness and add more sugar if you feel it is necessary. Stir until the mixture is creamy and remove from the heat.
- Garnish with ground pistachio nuts if desired.