Cook1 hr 30 mins
Thai red rice has a firm texture and a nutty flavor giving this dessert a unique flavor and appearance. Be sure to stir often throughout the cooking process so the pudding doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- 1⁄2 cup red rice (Thai)
- 1⁄2 cup long grain white rice
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons ground pistachio nuts (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine both rices, sugar, salt, 3 cups water, and 3 cups milk. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer over low heat until half the liquid has evaporated. This will take about 30-40 minute.
- Now add in the rose water, ground cardamom, and the can of coconut milk. Continue simmering another 30-40 minute The mixture should be fairly thick.
- Now add in the lemon zest and 1/2 cup half and half. Check the sweetness and add more sugar if you feel it is necessary. Stir until the mixture is creamy and remove from the heat.
- Garnish with ground pistachio nuts if desired.