Recipe by Manami
Please don't send the recipe police after me - I checked it as a vegetarian recipe because I posted the two adaptations. This recipe is easily adaptable to serve vegetarians also. To serve 1 vegetarian and 3 meat-lovers: after stirring in the vegetables, coconut milk, lime leaves, and water, transfer about 1 cup of the curry mixture to a 2-quart saucepan. To this smaller pan, add 4 oz. extra firm tofu, cut into 3/4 inch pieces, and bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stitr in 2 tsp soy sauce, 1/4 cup of the basil, and 1 tsp of the lime juice. With the remining curry mixture in the 3-quart saucepan, finish the master recipe, for the 3 meat eaters. :) Recipe by Ivy Manning Fine Cooking Magazine, December 30, 2009
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 cups snap peas, trimmed and cut in half on the diagonal
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 2-inch-long strips
- 14 ounces coconut milk (1 can)
- 6 wild fresh lime leaves (magrut or kaffir lime) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5- cut into 1- to 1-1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup loosely packed Thai basil (or regular basil, torn into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering hot.
- Add the curry paste and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 20 seconds.
- Take the pan off of the heat and stir in the snap peas, shallots, pepper, coconut milk, lime leaves (if using), sugar, and 1 cup water; stir to combine.
- Add the chicken, bring to a simmer over medium heat, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the basil, fish sauce, and lime juice & let rest off the heat for 5 minutes; season to taste with fish sauce or salt.
- Serve with jasmine rice.